Re[2]: SCCA Classes

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:24:47 -0500 Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:
> What the hell?  The SCCA runs classes in which OEM fuel delivery is
> banned?  "I'm sorry, sir, you're car isn't 'prepared' enough, you
> can't race."  How the heck does that work?  What's the rationale
> there?  I assume that properly-jetted Webers would have the edge
> unless someone made a SPICA 3D cam specifically for racing, so why
> can't you run the slower OEM setup?

it's an enforcement and equality issue. production is a class where the
competition board actively tweaks things like weights and carb venturi
sizing in an effort to even competition. for many years they were uncertain
of their ability to properly manage the competition if various and sundry
fuel injection systems were permitted.

this changed a couple of years ago, there are now circumstances in which an
OEM FI system is permitted. it's not universially permitted; they are being
deliberately slow to introduce change, for fear of inadvertantly creating a
"killer car", besides which, the community built around production car
racing is a conservative one, and a radical change like allowing FI needs
to be done carefully. in reviewing the book (i have a 2000 GCR ready to
hand, the 2002 book is out in the garage with my tech inspection supplies
from the last race i chiefed), i see a lot of newer entries that are
permitted the OE fuel injection, but a lot of older ones are still
restricted to specific carbs.

some alfa content:

The 2 liter alfas in EP are permitted a variety of carbs, 2 each of one of
the following: 40, 45, 48 DCOE or 40, 48 DHLA (this latter is a dell'orto,
right?) no OE fuel injection, but you could probably petition the comp
board if you wanted it.

by comparison, the 1600 and 1750 cc spiders in EP (no listing for the
Sprint GT/GTV or 1750 GTV at present) have a much more restrictive set of
options, a pair of one of the following:

40 DCOE 27
40 DCOE 32
45 DCOE w/38mm venturis
Zenith 75 CDSE

the smaller engined spiders also get a weight break, 1920 lbs vs 2100.

down in FP, we see the 101 series Giulias, the spider veloce w two
40 DCOE carbs and the non-veloce spider and gt with one Solex 32 PAIA
or one 36 DCD Weber. no weight brake for the non-veloces; they carry 1918
whereas the veloce is listed at 1850.

and there are numerous 1300 cc Alfas listed in GP, but i'm not going to
type any more of this in at this point in time.

richard