RE: Ducati 750 Paso

Sorry, Nick, but you don't have your history correct on the Ducati Paso 750.

I know it's Italian, has a glorious-sounding V-twin motor and the usual
sublime character. However, it's probably the least loved Ducati of all
time. I've no first-hand experience of them but, from what I've read, they
are underpowered, beset by reliability problems (especially the electrics)
and I think they have suspect handling, too, due to small front wheel but I
may be wrong about the last bit.
The Paso 750 was the brainchild of Massimo Tamburini while still at Bimota (the "ta" in Bimota...), stillborn there for lack of funding, which eventually went into production when Tamburini went to work at Ducati. It was lauded as the bike that inspired the next generation of motorcycles with full enclosure bodywork (Honda Hurricane, CBR600, etc).

In direct comparison, the Paso 750 bested the legendary Ducati 900SS (1975-1985 vintage) in performance, handled like a motorcycle instead of a freight train (it would actually turn on demand, not later the same day... ;-), and was far more comfortable - capable of being ridden all day by normal human beings (see Cycle, about March or April 1987, for a two-bike heads up comparison between them).

The legendary "jetting" difficulties had to do with the fact that the electric fuel pump specified for the Weber carburetor was changed due to cost reasons at the last minute for a pump that could not maintain the required fuel pressure stably; the production bikes' pump was prone to surging, over/under pressure fuel delivery, which would wet the Weber's gaskets and cause its calibration to suffer. Fitted with a better fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, as many Paso 750 and Paso 906 owners did, the Weber is an outstandingly good carburetor and performs very well. Ducati never updated this situation, even through the 906 model, choosing instead to move to EFI with the 907IE model as being more marketable and a better overall solution.

The also-legendary electrical difficulties are 98% mythical and devolve down to a single substandard component, the solid-state, combined rectifier/regulator unit. Substitution of an Electrex or other reliable rectifier/regulator solves that issue permanently.

The worst issue to deal with in Paso 750 (and 906) ownership is the fact that the entire chassis was tightly designed around 16" diameter wheels and tires, both front and rear, and a particular model Pirelli radial tire at that. Those tires have been out of production for a long time already, only Michelin continues to make an older model tire in the correct sizing and then only in small batches on a periodic basis due to very low demand. Other tires have been use with degrees of success, conversions to 17" wheels have also been effected with varied success as well. The Paso 750 was a very tightly designed package, difficult to adapt in this fashion ... Even the 907IE model, modified by Ducati with different steering head geometry, swing-arm length, suspension rates, etc, had some compromises compared to the original bike's feel and handling.

I think the larger engined Paso, the 906,
was the foundation for the line that eventually became the 851 and 888
superbikes ...
The chassis conceived for the Paso 750 and utilized with minor modifications for the 906 and 907IE models was not the basis of any subsequent or parallel developed models. The Paso 906 was the first model released with the then-new redesigned engine cases and gearbox, targeted at the larger displacement and 4-valve models, but they were not "derivative" one of the other in any way ... It just happened that the 906 model made its way to market slightly ahead of the 851.

I think the 750 Paso is the last Ducati I would choose to own. Have a look
at reviews on the web. I may be wrong and you may end up finding that owning
any Ducati is better than not owning one but I think you may find that the
Paso provides all of the real and perceived horrors of Ducati ownership with
nearly none of the benefits.
The Paso 750 is probably not the model Ducati I would own either, but it remains one of the signal bikes in Ducati's history that affected both Ducati and the industry. It was a brilliant design, daring and forward looking, not like everyone else's ideas of a sport bike at that time.

The "real and perceived horrors of Ducati ownership" are mostly mythical, much like Alfa Romeo ownership, although the common thread of poorly marketed, poorly supported by parts and information remain much the same.

Godfrey