Dunlop Sport A2, size 195/70/14, Try SEARS! Here's my review...

Seriously,

Check the Sunday newspaper ads.  SEARS always has the 195/70/14 Dunlop Sport A2
on sale.  I've seen prices as low as $39 installed but usually they are $44.
Still a good deal if there is a SEARS close to you.

Personally, I think the 195/70/14 is a little too tall for a Spider.  I have
that size(installed from previous owner!) on a '78 Spider w/Turbina wheels.  I
would replace them but they are practically new so instead I'm trying to wear
them out by driving aggressively!  They do fill the wheel wells quite nicely
especially since the '78 is slightly lowered with sport springs and no spacers
but I still think they change the gearing and speedometer too much.

Anyway, I had the Dunlop Sport A2's on an old BMW 5-series.  Nice tire!  Very
smooth and quiet.  Nice handling in that they were very progressive and
predictable when cornering at high speed.  One of the very few H-rated tires in
that size which may explain the nice stiff sidewall.  Felt very stable and
drives more like a 60-series tire.  Believe it or not, the 195/70/14 was the
correct tire size for the old BMW 5-series on 14 X 6.5" BBS wheels!  The BMW
was quite a bit heavier and more powerful than the Spider on the same tire size.

The least expensive H-rated 185/70/14(correct size!) is a Sumitomo HTR at
www.tirerack.com.  It's a 'summer-only' tire but probably the best bang-for-the
buck.  At last check, they were only $35 each!

Jeff