Re: Cleaning parts

Ed Lutz wrote:

I use a tank from Harbor Freight and it works fine with petro based
cleaners. in fact, I had a water based cleaner in it and the thing
rusted. Now its just got kerosene in it which works but stinks and
isn't the best thing to be using. Try stodard solvent, its better to
work with and cleans great. Do though be sure the tank you buy can use
a petro based solvent, maybe Harbor Freight changed suppliers or
something.

Ed
Loveland, CO.
1974 Spider with a 1750 under the hood

Hi Ed..

OK, how long ago did you buy the cleaner at Harbor? Does it look like the current large (20gal)
model? I read some documentation on it that said if you use petroleum based solvents, the pump
"may" wear out prematurely.. I think the smaller model said more strongly not to use them.

Not sure if they are giving you a fair warning, or only some hand waving to discourage use of
petro solvents.. I can imagine the pump could be built for water duty, and the rubber seals might
melt slowly (or quickly) depending on the solvent.. makes me wonder how easy it might be to
cut gaskets/buy O-rings of more resistant stuff..

You are the second guy to mention this Stoddard stuff.. Where can you find it? I'm hoping they
don't have some law banning it's sale in CA...