Cleaning parts

I was wondering what people use nowadays, in these air quality concious days, for cleaning
parts?
Was looking at a big parts washer (Harbor Freight, on sale for $69) but they apparently
aren't designed for the usual solvent based solutions (rubber seals in the pump?) and they suggest
water based stuff.

I now have an engine that has been dissassembled for years, parts oiled and nicely wrapped, now
the oil is a half dried stickey mess on a lot of them. That, and I want to make sure that oil galleries
are well flushed out and clean, so some kind of pressure flow would be good.

I've bought a can of that Berryman Chem-Dip stuff, with the parts basket in the paint can, and found
it to be a heavy liquid, that they reccomend washing off the parts with water. It wouldn't seem to just
evaporate without any residue.. (though it cleans pretty well) so I worry about contamination. And of
course, it's only good for small parts.

So, what do you use, and how do you use it? Is a forced flow cleaner neccicary or worth having?
What solvents do you use? Are the water based ones worth anything, or something you wouldn't
want to use on a engine rebuild?

I've also picked up a $6 hand pump that is oil and gas safe, on the chance I might just use it and
a large tub, for flushing parts with more "aggressive" solvents. Don't worry, I know enough to not keep
5gal of gas in a wide, uncovered container in my garage. (gas water heater + fumes=BOOM!!)

Thanks..

Jon