RE: Cleaning parts

I have a Snap-On Solvent tank that I was very lucky to find at going out
of business sale.  It's one of the best items I ever purchased for my
garage.  I'm unaware of there being any problem with using solvent in
the new solvent tanks.  I buy Stoddard Solvent in 5 gallon drums from a
local oil supply house for about 5 bucks.  It cleans very well and has a
very high flash point so it's safe in a garage.  Stoddard Solvent
evaporates but not terribly quickly.  I get away with adding 5 gallons
every year or so, and the solvent itself continues to clean well even
when it's dirty.

Regards,
TJ

TJ Noto		AFM #134  	Cowpoke Racing-"Friends in Slow Places"
http://www.cowpokeracing.com
95 Ducati 916 Strada
96 Ducati Monster 900 (Chela's)
61 Ducati Falcone 80
70 Norton Commando Fastback
73 BMW 3.0 CS ("deviated from museum reliquary standard"-Perez)
97 BMW Z3 (Chela's)
77 Mercedes 280C (Mimosa)
00 Ford F150 Supercab
87 Suzuki RG250 (For Sale!)

Of
> Jon Pike
> Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:02 PM
> To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: Cleaning parts
>
> I was wondering what people use nowadays,  in these air quality
concious
> days,  for cleaning
> parts?
>
> Was looking at a big parts washer (Harbor Freight, on sale for $69)
but
> they apparently
> aren't designed for the usual solvent based solutions (rubber seals in
> the pump?) and they suggest
> water based stuff.
>
> I now have an engine that has been dissassembled for years,  parts
oiled
> and nicely wrapped,  now
> the oil is a half dried stickey mess on a lot of them.  That, and I
want
> to make sure that oil galleries
> are well flushed out and clean, so some kind of pressure flow would be
> good.
>
> I've bought a can of that Berryman Chem-Dip stuff,  with the parts
> basket in the paint can,  and found
> it to be a heavy liquid, that they reccomend washing off the parts
with
> water.  It wouldn't seem to just
> evaporate without any residue..  (though it cleans pretty well) so I
> worry about contamination.  And of
> course,  it's only good for small parts.
>
> So,  what do you use, and how do you use it?  Is a forced flow cleaner
> neccicary or worth having?
> What solvents do you use?  Are the water based ones worth anything, or
> something you wouldn't
> want to use on a engine rebuild?
>
> I've also picked up a $6 hand pump that is oil and gas safe,  on the
> chance I might just use it and
> a large tub, for flushing parts with more "aggressive" solvents.
Don't