Re: Follow up on repair- cracked bellhousing

Hi Kevin:

If you just want to get the Spider on the road again, don't pull the engine
unless you have some other reason to do so (didn't know if you were serious
about all that other stuff).  I dropped the transmission out of my Spider,
to replace a cracked bellhousing, this past summer without any trouble at
all.  It was a basic job, and took about 2 hours to get the trans out,
another 2 to get it back in.  Much of the time (maybe 30%) was spent
removing and reinstalling the center console.  I would have been quicker,
but summer in south Florida has a way of slowing things down.  It's even
easier if you pull the studs out of the bellhousing and replace them with
bolts, as per the advice I got from Tom Sahines.  While I was under there,
I also replaced the trans mount and giubo, but forgot to order the front
trans seal, which held me up for a few days.  Other than that, no snags I
can remember.  I attached a picture for your email copy that won't make it
to the digest.

Regards,

Dean

At 01:27 AM 10/28/2002, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:45:40 -0500
>From: Kevin Trent <trentkc@domain.elided>
>Subject: Follow up on repair- cracked bellhousing
>
>(BIG SNIP)
>I have a spare bellhousing, and now I've about resigned myself to removing
>the engine and transmission and doing a proper fix.  Of course, this means
>that I'll end up with another scope creep repair - new transmission seals,
>and I might as well replace the front and rear crank seals while the engine
>is out, and while the clutch is off, get the clutch disk refaced, and with
>the engine out it would also be a ideal opportunity to rebush or replace
>that worn steering idler, oh yeah, and refurbish a spare starter that is
>the proper for the engine...
>Wonder if I can get it all done before next spring?
>
>//kct

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of trans2.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]