Follow up on repair- cracked bellhousing

A week ago I asked the digest for advice on the repair of my '73 spider's cracked bellhousing at the starter mount. Got a half dozen or more responses covering:
- drill a hole at the end of the crack to relieve stress & prevent continuation;
- the need to adequately preheat the bellhousing before welding;
- the need for the proper shoulder bolt;
- several suggestions that I not only had the wrong starter (the later/larger 1.1hp model) but also without its rear mount which attaches to the motor mount.

Despite the fact that I have been well aware of the last item above, I was amazed to find that the spider actually did have the larger starter and without its rear mount! I had installed this engine in the spider back in 1990, with 34k on a rebuild done a few years earlier when the engine was in a Berlina. I believe that the large starter had been in the Berlina too, and I've put on another 50k miles since it was installed in the spider. Wonder how long the bellhousing has been cracked??

Back to the repair. I've decided it cannot be done with the bellhousing in the car. I tried some practice welds on a broken transmission mount, figuring the cast aluminum would be about the same as the bellhousing. I used a propane torch to preheat the weld area, and then used a 110volt MIG welder, but just could not get any penetration with this setup. Jim Steck had send a picture of what happens when a bellhousing fails, and it wasn't pretty. Clearly my amateur skills and hobbyist tools are not up to this repair.

I have a spare bellhousing, and now I've about resigned myself to removing the engine and transmission and doing a proper fix. Of course, this means that I'll end up with another scope creep repair - new transmission seals, and I might as well replace the front and rear crank seals while the engine is out, and while the clutch is off, get the clutch disk refaced, and with the engine out it would also be a ideal opportunity to rebush or replace that worn steering idler, oh yeah, and refurbish a spare starter that is the proper for the engine...
Wonder if I can get it all done before next spring?

//kct