Re: Bilsteins soft?

Hi Dean,

Sorry, I realize I should be more explicit with my claims. Let me clarify, the Bilstein HD were too soft on my Miata (damn, I thought this is the Alfa digest, which is why I didn't want to bring up the M word), perhaps because the springs are really soft, the car wallows. I should also state that suspension tuning is really complicated and I would not claim to know squat about the theory or practice of the art, I have trouble comprehending Carroll Smith's book. My experience is based on a small personal sampling.

I have no idea how they fare on Alfas. Paul Glynn, recommends Konis over Bilstein for Alfas and that's good enough for me, coming from someone who used to be Kwech's suspension guy. Bilsteins are fine on my old German cars (Bimmers, 911 and MB), maybe they get the spring rates or shock valve tuned to work right with Bilsteins.

I used Koni Yellows on both my old Miata (setting 2 or 3, settable with the palstic knob on the car) and the Milano at the softest setting and I wouldn't have anything else for streets. The Boge are softer (maybe) when new, but they deteriorate quickly and become rock hard and then disintegrate all together, this happened to me twice. And they are not that good new.

The Konis (~$90 from shox.com) cost about the same as the Bilsteins ($86 from Turner Motorsport) and slightly more than the Boge ($75 (from International Auto)). I think that's money well spent.

I know people who get their shock re-valved for various jounce and rebound values etc... and made things worse, I'd go with the collective experience of this group.

Here's one strong vote for Konis.

cheers,

- S.