164 No Go - Battery?

With a crying baby and running late, I didn't have the chance to check this out further, but does this sound like the behavior of a 164 with a dying battery?

Remote unlocked the car without a problem, but when I started it up, it sounded like it was cranking feebly, and the alarm gave off a brief series of low volume chirps. I tried several times, with the same result, before giving up and stuffing the baby in a different car. Before I left, I tried to lock the Alfa with the remote, but it no longer had any effect. So I figured either the battery was all but dead or the local rodents got into the wiring. If it hadn't been for the chirps from the alarm, I would have assumed battery, but....

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Weiss
Clifton Park, NY
1991 164L