Re: 164 front motor mount tweak

> > Hmm, I was curious about the observation that the rear mount for a 164
> will
> > fit in the front.
> >
> > Having a handy gutted 164 L out back, I pulled a stock rear mount from
> stock
> > and sure enough, it fits in the hole with a little wiggle. Holes line up
> > nice...
> >
> > BUT, sadly, the moving part of the metal base of the mount sits firmly
on
> the
> > subframe, so I can only surmise that the car will have pretty heavy NVH
> with
> > the motor indirectly resting on the subframe.
> >
> > I suppose if you were so motivated, you could cut out the hole in the
> subframe
> > big enough to accomodate it, but if you're going to go through all that,
> you
> > might as well just buy the original.
> >
> > Anyone have other experience?
> >
> > Bill
> >
> Bill,
>
> On my 91 S I experienced no adverse effects and of course, the engine does
> not move nearly as much as with the shot original mount.  Not sure wat NVH
> is.  Vibration of some sort?  Also, was not aware of the metal to metal
> contact you describe.  For my money,  $38 compared to $180 amd above is a
> powerful incentive.  I know that price is driven by supply/demand.  In
this
> case, the technology (oil filled) is available on scores of mounts for
> domestic cars at prices below $50.
>
> Don

The base of the rear mount is designed to move down when pressure is
applied. The front position offers nowhere for it to go, as it rests on this
metal base.

It's likely better than before, as it isn't sloppin' around. But if the
mounts are good, it's very smooth with no idle vibration.

I''ll poke around for some solutions.

Bill