Euro delivery programs

In a message dated 10/10/2002 8:49:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> A counselor in my old high school actually ordered a VW van (the camper
> model with the pop up tent et. al.) in Germany, flew over there with his
> wife, toured Europe with it for a couple of weeks, flew back, shipped the
> van, and picked it up at the port -- and still saved money over buying it
> from the dealer in the US. Or so he said.

This used to be a pretty good program; even Alfa had it (but you had to pick
up the car in Germany, not Italy).  Part of it had to do with discounts and
currency, and part with importing a used v a new car.  I know people in the
Club who got Milanos on this deal in Europe when the model was new (86 - 87).
 Don't know if there is anything comparable now.

Another note:

I blew my first V6 donut on the GTV6 the other day during a little
enthusiastic acceleration.  First time in 147k miles.  Not so bad.  Actually,
I have been expecting this to happen for a long time -- since I first bought
the GTV6!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA