Miata, Alfa connection

In a message dated 10/12/2002 11:09:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> It was widely reported at the time that Mazda bought several Lotus Elans,
> shiped them to Japan, and disassembled and reverse engineered, and these
> were
> the basis for the original Miata.  Whatever they did they kicked Alfa butt
> in
> the market place.  It was much closer to a real drivers car than the aging
> Alfa.

Actually, the designer (coachwork) of the Miata once came and talked to our
AROSC group at a meeting.  I forget his last name, his first was Ken.  He is
from Japan, but had an international career, having designed Oldsmobiles or
something for GM, the small BMW for you-know-who, the Mazda RX7 is it, the
coupe), and the Miata, which is supposed to be an update on the 60s Austin
Healy theme.  When they worked on it, a Guilia was parked in the design
studio (saw a photo) which I think was here in CA, not in Japan.  They also
took into account that in the USA, cars in driveways pull in head first, so
the rear is important for a view from the street, while in Japan, people back
into the driveway, so the front is more important, design and identity-wise!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA