From: John Hertzman [mailto:johnhertzman@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, 10 October 2002 14:17
To: alfa@domain.elided
Cc: MHumphr789@domain.elided
Subject: Re: gas

Responding to Mhumph's question "Is unleaded fuel ok for a car that was
manufactured in the times of leaded fuel?  Are there additives which would
prolong the condition and life of the engine?" Richard Welty writes "i don't
know about your 1973 GTV, but my 1974 specs unleaded fuel.

"the principle issues are with wear to the valve seats. cars designed for
leaded fuel depend on the lead to provide lubrication, and using unleaded will
cause quicker wear. any older engine rebuilt in modern times will likely have
a valve seat made of materials formulated for unleaded gasoline."

The October 1971 plates in the 2000 Berlina parts book shows valve seat
inserts 105.12.01.504.01 (intake) and 105.12.01.505.01 (exhaust); the slightly
later (March 1972) 2000 GTV/Spider parts book shows the same, and neither of
my parts books has a later "aggiornimento" page for this plate. The USA
Version Alfetta parts book (June '75, aggiornimento 4-1976) shows the same
inserts, as does the 1980 edition of the Alfetta Catalogo Rapido. Michael
should be safe using any 91 octane (RON) (87 F.T.C. rating method, the
required posted-on-pump number) per the Owner's Manual, unless there is some
issue with additives.

My casual understanding, for which I don't have offhand documentary backup, is
that no Alfa from the Giulietta on up has had a problem with valve seat
recession caused by use of unleaded fuel. If anyone knows otherwise, please
chime in.

Cordially,

John H.