Re: alfa-digest V8 #1197

Hey Kelly,
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:03:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kelly McCrystle <patpend2000@domain.elided>
> Subject: Rear axle seals
>
> I notices this weekend while replacing my brake lines
> that the rear axle seal on the drivers side of my
> spider is leaking.  How hard are these to replace?  Do

Seals are easy to replace.  No special tools required.
Just be careful tapping the new ones into the axle housing.
If you have a seal driver, fine.  If not, just use a flat block of
wood and gently tap around the perimeter of the new seal to
drive it evenly into the housing.

I need any special tools?  Should I have new bearings>
> pressed on the axle while I have it out of the car.

Probably yes.  I found that when my driver side seal went,
the bearing was starting to go too.  Grab the bearing and
wiggle it with your fingers.  If you feel any play, it's time to
replace.  But it's a bear.  You need to chisel off the keeper
collar and then press a new collar on - a least that's the way
I had mine done.  Maybe someone on the list has a clever
way to use a clamshell puller and do the whole job at home.

> Thanks
> Kelly M.
> 88 Spider TS
> 74 GTV