re: Vega owners (oops, long)

I guess I missed what the original post was about, but I've been following
the 12-step thread with enthusiasm:

My name is Tess.

I learned to drive a stick shift in a Chevy Vega.

Could that be my problem?

In all seriousness, when I was just at the age of getting my driver's
license, one of my mom's friends at the time was independently wealthy
due to an inheritance. (Why a woman like that would own an old beat-up
Vega, I don't know.) She had all kinds of artwork and statues, fancy
European furniture, deep shag rugs you could lose small children in, a
condo on the water that you took a fancy elevator up to, and she drove a
beat-up red Vega with a tan interior. We, on the other hand, were on the
"frugal" side (to put it euphamistically), and she knew I wanted to have
my own car in the worst way. So whenever she went out of town, she'd leave
the Vega at our house, with the instructions to "let Tessie drive it so
she can learn how to drive a stick shift." I used to take it out at
midnight and practice parallel parking up on Queen Anne Hill (among other
things). These days, with the suspected Green River Killer behind bars I
can't believe I did this stuff without proper escort, but I also used to
cruise up and down Pacific Hwy So. and stare with mingled mirth and
disbelief at all the prostitutes.

I don't recall ever changing the Vega's oil... (maybe another one of my
problems?) That car stood up pretty well to my mangled gear-changing and
park-by-braille.... My mom's friend owned it for many many years and kept
leaving it for me to drive....

an older -- but most won't say wiser -- Tess