Re: round-tail question

>Originality, another '69 Spider hypothetical question: You've just
>inherited some big bucks, always wanted an 'original' '69 Spider and
>have been shopping

It would probably have to be (b) the restored non-original for me.  I'm afraid
I'd feel too obliged to retain the vintage patina of the original car and
would worry about it too much.  A restoration can be redone, originality can
only be maintained or undone. In your example, a little of that has been
relieved by the refresher paint job.  Now that my amateur restoration of my
Duetto is showing a few dings after some years use, I'm enjoying it more than
ever.  Not that driving such a delicately bumpered work of art can ever be
worry free.  (I frequently pump the brakes when stopping in hopes that the
flashing of the lights will gain the attention of the cell phone-engaged tank
driver behind me before his monster mud bogger tires run up on the
aforementioned bumpers).  But I no longer worry about whether my paint will
still look perfect when I come out from a store.  That was several ding-years
ago.  I'll be the first to complement a beautiful restoration or a
well-maintained original car and I have a real appreciation for the people
that show them, but I'm kind of relieved that I don't have to fret about stone
chips if I kick up a little gravel while enjoying mine.

Bill Sinclair
'67 Duetto (a few wrinkles at age 35)