Re: A Round-Tail engine question/1750 vs 2000 Revving

On 10/3 back in V8#1186 I opined on the torque superiority of the 2L over the 1750, in that case an early 1750 without offset piston pins. Yes, I agree that cams and cam timing make a significant difference in the 2L engine. I have a two 2L spica injected engines, both set to 1750 cam timing, one with 1750 cams, the other with Euro 10548 cams, and both rev to 7k with nooooo problem. More data points - I have the early 1750 mentioned above and a 2L, both with webers and marelli plex ignition, and both carrying an 11 mm 300 degree cam intake and Euro 10548 exhaust cam set on 102 degree cam timing I&E. That 2L revs to 7K better than the slug 1750 in addition to loads more low end torque.

//kct, Powell, TN

At 05:42 PM 10/5/02 +0000, you wrote:

Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:33:46 -0500
From: Robert Wilkinson <wilk@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: A Round-Tail engine question

I've never driven a 1750, but since the introduction of the 2000 the
superior revving of the 1750 has never been disputed.  In the Alfa Owners
of the time, 2000 owners were advised to advance their intake cam, or
replace their cams with 1750 (or, more recently, Euro 2000) cams.  This mod
wasn't mentioned in the hypothetical comparison that started this thread.
I'd like to hear the group's collected wisdom on the merits (if any) of
this kind of swap.  Presumably, the 2 liter cams were introduced, as was
the engine, as a smog measure, not simply to shift the power band downward.
 Will the 1750 cams restore the "likes to rev" nature of the 1750 without
too much loss of that beautiful torque of the 2000?  With, without Spica?

Robert Wilkinson
72 Spica Spider

The 1750 engine always seemed to enjoy revving whereas the 2L seemed
uncomfortable over about 4000 RPM.  For "feel" the 1750 gets my vote.