A Round-Tail engine question/1750 vs 2000 Revving

In #1197 Kevin Trent confirms my opinions:

"...I have a two 2L spica injected engines, both set to 1750 cam
timing, one with 1750 cams, the other with Euro 10548 cams, and both rev
7k with nooooo problem.  More data points - I have the early 1750
mentioned
above and a 2L, both with webers and marelli plex ignition,  and both
carrying an 11 mm 300 degree cam intake and Euro 10548 exhaust cam set
on
102 degree cam timing I&E.  That 2L revs to 7K better than the slug 1750
in
addition to loads more low end torque."

**********

I said it then and I say it now: Once smog controls began in the late
60's / early 70's I maintained we would go through a bleak period of
'let's try this and see if it works'. Or to phrase it another way, "What
can we stick on / modify to make this engine (barely) pass CA smog
tests."

If one is a Green person they will be horrified if not mortified, but as
Kevin points out, move some stuff around and a two liter will run oh so
much more sweetly - though not necessarily pass smog (easily, if at
all).

While my experiences might not be as extensive as Kevin's, tweak a two
liter correctly (big believer in 'nice' cams and also balancing and
indexing the rods) and you have an engine which Does love to rev and
does so strongly all the way up the rev range.

While anything custom can be configured, don't believe 10:1 pistons are
readily available for the 1750's - an important element. Unless I'm
mistaken (might well be), believe even stock pistons / liners for the
1750 aren't all that available - or possibly won't be in the not too
distant future.

Bigger can be better, providing it is still an Alfa engine and the block
has the correct number of holes.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA