re: Expected Car Repairs

My experience with any used car or motorcycle purchase is that something major
is bound to go wrong within a few weeks of receiving the title.  I always
factor in repairs when I buy used, even if the vehicle was well maintained &
immaculate.  I don't know why cars break when pink slips are exchanged --
maybe different driving styles precipitate mechanical problems that were
previously dormant.

Two weeks after the 3-month warranty expired on my 164 (purchased used with
24K miles on the odometer), the differential blew up on the San
Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.  I managed to drive home without incident, and
even drove to the mechanic the next day.  (I still cringe when I think about
that repair bill.)  Since that time I've had four relatively trouble-free
years, but then again I've never skimped on maintenance.  The 164 has never
left me stranded, even after several major road trips.  I'd take it anywhere
at moment's notice.

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport (still reliable at 28K miles)