164 Steering knocking

Marc,
Sounds like it is time to rebuild the half shafts. They probably need new
grease put in. This is very typical for half half shafts with more than 60,000
miles on them. Usually the boots give out before the grease does necessitating
rebuilding.

When rebuilding, put in synthetic grease...it will last alot longer.

You can give them a check by moving the shafts forward adn backwards
longitudinally and you will hear a "clunking" sound. Good shafts generally
won't make this noise.

A place to start.
I am rebuilding some Alfetta rear half shafts this weekend. Should eliminate
some rear axle noises I am hearing in my sons Alfetta.

Christopher Boles
Veloce Register
http://www.veloeceregister.net