Re: My nice new 164 is a POS

In a message dated 10/2/2002 11:55:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jamesm@domain.elided writes:

> And we wonder how Alfas got their reputation as unreliable cars.  This guy
> buys a car with over 100K miles on it, doesn't bother to have it checked
> out before buying, it has a few minor problems, and suddenly he's calling
> it a lemon.

   Somewhat more accurately, albiet defensively, I bought a 2 owner car with
over 100k miles, with verified meticulous dealer-only service.  <sarcasm on>
Welcome to the 90s.  Nice cars (like a boring Honda Civic or a B*W) are
lasting well over 100k, when well maintained, much like a "real" Alfa should.
 <sarcasm off>  I budgeted appropriately for up-front repairs & PM.
   To paraphrase from another reponse I've written:

My budget for a grand on the new purchase was invested on new flex pipes,
inspection, and oil & tranny fluid changes.  That's reasonable.

My second, non-budgeted, grand was for the heater core.  That's unfortunate.

This is looking to be my third grand (AC has multiple leak spots in nice
expensive locations) and fourth (cam seals) grand in the first 5 weeks of
ownership.  I'll pass on the fifth $1000+ for a new climate control display.
That's sad.

It's the non-obvious, abnormal, massively expensive and shockingly frequent
incidences of unreliability that are leading me toward the dark side of
Japanese car-dom.   May the Italian car gods grant me patience and have mercy
on my soul.

-m