GTV6 steering column, turn signal switch

I brought my car to school last weekend after the Grand Prix, and now my recently-repaired turn signal cancellation has stopped working me. This isn't really such a big deal since it didn't work for the first three years I owned the car and was only corrected as a side-effect of replacing a failed headlight switch. But it doesn't work today, and there is a fair amount of play in the steering column in that I can yank the wheel towards myself and push it back. I also remember that half of a fairly thick plastic washer showed up in the footwell a couple months ago. Are these events related? Should I be worried? Is the wheel about to come off in my hands?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott