2L engine RPM rev limit ?

       I know the Alfa spider with the stock Bosch L Jetronic injection and
stock VVT camshafts will turn 7500 RPM.  The power runs out at 6200, so there
is rarely any reason to not shift there.  But in some cases in an autocross
or a race it may be as quick or quicker to over rev the engine than it is to
shift up and back down again for the next corner.
       A word of caution.  Both my 82 street racer spider and my 84 SCCA race
car spider are fully balanced and blue printed with a lot of attention paid
to the connecting rods.  Both are drilled for full oil to all five main
bearings.  Both have 9.5 to 10 to 1 compression ratios and both have very
free flowing exhausts.  However, as required by the rule book, both have
stock injection and stock camshafts.
       OK, I know there is not rule book for a street racer, but it was built
mostly according to the SCCA Street Prepared Classification Solo II rule book.
       Except for the compression and exhaust, none of the above really
increases the RPM potential, but all allow the engines to live at excessive
revs.  On a stone stock 86 spider, your results will probably vary.  And no,
there is no rev limiter on any of the Alfa four cylinder engines that were
imported to the USA.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City