Brake Fluid, was milano rebuild

In a message dated 09/27/2002 12:38:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:29:12 -0400
> From: "Raymond J. Boniface" <rjboniface@domain.elided>
> Subject: milano rebuild
>
> John
>
> 2.  Front brakes are pretty straightforward.  I assume you're putting new
> calipers in.  If rebuilding, watch for corrosion in the cylinders...may
> require a replacement if bad.  Castrol is fine.  I've seen synthetic fluid
> at
> AUto zone, thatlooks interesting, but haven't tried it.
>
> Ray Boniface

       I bought synthetic brake fluid that looked interesting at the
autoparts store.  The numbers and price were both better than the Castrol
LMA.  It was Valvoline Synthetic.
       The stuff was crap.  My 84 Spider's brakes were spongy until I went
back to the ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid.
       Castrol is good street fluid and I have used it on the track.  In
fact, the only advantage to the ATE fluid might be that it costs more and,
therefore, seems to be what you should run on the race track.  The ATE fluid
does have better numbers for dry and wet boiling points.
       I never run DOT 3 fluid.  I have run Castrol ever since I owned a
British sports car 30 years ago.  In those days, DOT 3 fluid would eat the
rubber parts of the brake system.  It is probably better today, but old
habits die hard.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City