Help, Lug Nuts Came Loose While Driving

       The wheels will loosen slightly after driving.  It seems no matter how
carefully you seat the lug nuts, not all four are exactly centered in their
taper.  Therefore, I ALWAYS retorque my wheels after a couple of miles of
driving.
       And like the recent warm up trend, I do not drive in a spirited manner
until after the wheels have been retorqued.
       I ALWAYS use a torque wrench to get them uniformly tight.  The actual
tightness is not as important, in my experience, as even tightness.  I
normally torque Alfa mags from 65 to 80 foot pounds.
       I also grease the lug bolts.  That prevents rust, which makes the lugs
come loose easier the next time.  It also allows the torque settings to be
more even.

       On my race car, I retorque the wheels after every race.  It seems that
after a heat cycle, at least one or two of the 16 lug nuts will take a bit of
a turn to return to the original torque setting.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City