Re: How come the 1990 Series 3 Spider is more powerful?

I am in the market for a Series 3 Spider (early '80's thru '90). I understand
that the last year ('90) was more powerful (120 v. 115 bhp)as it was equipped
with the engine that would be used in the '91- redesigned models. I know that
this engine uses Motronic FI as opposed to a Jetronic variant (forget which).
I have also read that the newer engines went back to the "triple-y" exhaust
manifolds used way back. I would prefer a '90, but I have been looking at an
'86 and was wondering:

Besides a possibly better FI system.. having the compression bumped up to 10.1:1 (from 9:1) would have something to do with it, and wouldn't be something you could change. Well, without opening the motor and changing the piston/liner set...