America, land of freedom of choice

>>Now our European comrades can tell us what range of sporty vehicles they
can choose from in their heavily protected domestic markets, just to round
out the debate.<<

$30K is around #20K, which doesnt give you that much choice really.
Yes you will get a 156, Barchetta, and probably even scrape through
with a GTV.

European market isnt really protected. Type approval is fairly simple
(OK it may cost the same to homologate a car as it does for the USA),
but in many countries there are legal ways and means to import a
limited number of non compliant vehicle, especially previously
used. This is why there are a vast number of 2nd hand Japanese
models in the UK. As long as they pass a basic static emisions
test then they are close enough.

Only real "protectionism" is a 10% duty on imported items from
outside the EU. Any other tax is applied to all equivalent items.
And I heard of one guy who tried taking a batch of Aprilias into
the USA which he could not get into the country so were sent
back to Italy where he had to pay import duty to get them back
into Europe!

All the best

Keith