America, land of freedom of choice

So, the R &T October issue is out showing the "variety" of cars available for legal sale in the USA (and by implication also in Canada).

If you want a European car for US$30,000 (increasing the budgeted price doesn't increase the choice much) or less you can choose from a dozen cars, one third of which are Volkswagens, and five of which are essentially the same car! To wit:

Audi A4 1.8T, BMW 323 i, Ford (yecch) Focus, Mini (???why?), Mercedes C 230, SAAB 9 3 (yay SAAB), VW Beetle (now that's a stupid car), Golf, Jetta, Passat (now three of these are the same car with slightly or weirdly different bodies, and the Passat is an Audi A4 or perhaps vice versa), and good old Volvo with the S 40 (a Mitsubishi in Swedish (or more exactly Dutch) drag) and the S60 (yeah right, find one of THOSE at your local dealer for under $30G).

Technically I guess you could add the Cadillac CTS from Allemagne, but who would be caught dead driving one of these monstrosities? And dealer list at $30G? Come on, not 'til September '03 man, and only if you don't want the limited time only ( 'til we sold the last one) 0.0009% financing for a ten year lease.

How many of these qualify as sports sedans (or sports anything for that matter?).

Now broaden your horizons and add Japanese or "other marques" to the list and you get:

Honda (oh sorry, Acura) CL, TL, and RSX, Honda Civic (now now, the Accord is made in 'murrica you know, not Japan), Hyundai barfmobiles, Kia ditto, Nissan ( so sorry, Infiniti) G35, Toyota (dang, gotta stop that, Lexus) IS 300, Mazda Protege, Mazda Miata (a real sports car, at last), Mitsubishi Eclipse, or Lancer, Nissan Sentra, , Subaru Impreza and Legacy (definitely a sports sedan in there somewhere, can you spell WRC?), and Toyota Celica, MR 2 (another real sports car)

That's basically it folks, unless you want to count the American built sports cars! These would include the Mazda 6, and Nissan Altima, and Toyota Corolla, Camry (wow grandma)and the Avalon (huh?). Buick anyone?

My point is that the variety available in the US car market has been shrinking radically for many years now, and just since the US went super aggressive on its regulatory scheme. There are more types of SUV, light truck, and minivans available than real sports sedans or cars. Sad ain't it? Coincidence maybe? Cause and effect anyone? Now I'm sure the American consumer is just choosing the SUV route because they like them better, and the fact that they CANNOT LEGALLY BUY the sports sedans available elsewhere has nothing to do with their buying decision.

Now our European comrades can tell us what range of sporty vehicles they can choose from in their heavily protected domestic markets, just to round out the debate.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L