Italian tune-up redux

Hi Guys! (and Anne &:-D) I have a comment and a question about the ITU
thread.

My comment is that I'd suggest all instructions should be prefaced with
the statement, "thoroughly warm up the engine".

My question is: since when does one need to shift hard for an ITU? My
understanding of the purpose is to clean out the carbon from the system.
Man-handling the gearbox wouldn't really be related to this, unless you
mean stomping hard on the clutch to get that extra second for engagement
(a la Fred).

Tess
------
"There was a young lady called Harris, that nothing could ever embarrass.
Till the bath-salts one day, in the tub where she lay, turned out to be
Plaster of Paris." - Ogden Nash