Paper or plastic? (valve guides)

I've been wondering the relative merits of different valve guide materiels, i.e. the silicon-aluminum bronze that Sperry uses in their rebuilt heads, vs the manganese bronze that IAP and others use.

Of course this leads to other comparisons, of differing places doing your head work.. and I know that the Digest discourages such direct comparison. So if anyone had some "input" about it, letting me know off Digest would be appriciated..

Hmmm.. as for some more on topic, in Digest fodder.. how about sodium cooled exhaust valves as opposed to the newer (assumably better heat transferring?) alloy ones? And how do you know the ones in a catalog are sodium cooled, if they don't say so? Price?? I've seen $13 and $40 exh valves.. that might be a clue?

Prepping myself (hopefully) for my head work, and what to do if they say "ya need a few valves"..

Jon
77 Spider, engine to be rebuilt