Re: James Dean (NAC)

Came across this recently.
Don't know how accurate any of it is but there's more at
http://www.vintageautoracing.com/msgthread.cfm?threadid=1538&messages=140#53
12
Just look at the length of that thread....

"Friends told James Dean that the car was trouble when they saw it -
Nicknamed "The Little Bastard," the silver 1955 Porsche Spyder 550...one of
only 90 built-- carried the iconic screen rebel to his grave on September
30, 1955.
After the tragedy, master car customizer George Barris bought the wreck for
$2,500.
When the wreck arrived at Barris' garage, the Porsche slipped and fell on
one of the mechanics unloading it.
The accident broke both of the mechanic's legs.
While Barris had bad feelings about the car when he first saw it, his
suspicions were confirmed during a race at the Pomona Fair Grounds on
October 24, 1956.
Two physicians, Troy McHenry and William Eschrid, were both racing cars that
had parts from the "Little Bastard."
McHenry died when his car, which had the Porsche's engine installed, went
out of control and hit a tree.
Eschrid's car flipped over. Eschrid, who survived despite serious injuries,
later said that the car suddenly locked up when he went into a curve.
The car's malevolent influence continued after the race: one kid trying to
steal the Porsche's steering wheel slipped and gashed his arm.
Barris reluctantly sold two of the car's tires to a young man; within a
week, the man was nearly involved in a wreck when the two tires blew out
simultaneously.
Feeling that the Porsche could be put to good use, Barris loaned the wrecked
car to the California Highway Patrol for a touring display to illustrate the
importance of automobile safety.
Within days, the garage housing the Spyder burnt to the ground.
With the exception of the "Little Bastard," every vehicle parked inside the
garage was destroyed.
When the car was put on exhibit in Sacramento, it fell from its display and
broke a teenager's hip.
George Barkuis, who was hauling the Spyder on a flatbed truck, was killed
instantly when the Porsche fell on him after he was thrown from his truck in
an accident.
The mishaps surrounding the car continued until 1960, when the Porsche was
loaned out for a safety exhibit in Miami, Florida.
When the exhibit was over, the wreckage, en route to Los Angeles,
mysteriously vanished.

To this day, the "Little Bastard's" whereabouts are unknown.

 Rolf was killed in a high speed highway accident, in Germany, during the
early 1980's.