(no subject)

Dan asked....
>Is the front suspension on a 1974 GTV higher than " normal " due to some
bumper reg's or something like that ?

I've been told that bumper height regulations did in fact lead to raised ride
height in front.  My '74 was quite high in front when I got it.

>Are there some additional spacers - or lack thereof - in
there on the spring pans or something ?

If it is stock, it will have a thin aluminum spacer in the bottom of the
spring plate on the lower a-arm.

>I'm wondering also because the springs I'm thinking of getting ( Dave Rugh )
are said to lower the car 1.5 " from stock height and 1.5" won't be enough (
at least aesthetically ).

I got the International springs that are said to lower the car about 1 inch.
I really like them.  The ride height looks much better and the handling is
much improved.  I would be surprised if you think the 1.5" isn't enough when
you have them on the car.

>Another question:  I believe the car came with Spica shock absorbers from
the factory ( please correct me if I'm wrong ).  What did they look like
?  What color were they painted ?  Did they have a  metal tube over the
exposed rod like Koni's or did they have a rubber gaiter or bellows like
Bilsteins ?  Any distinct outer markings or stickers ?

Yes Spica.  Rubber bellows.  Black with white lettering, white Alfa emblem
and a white outline of an old style racing helmet.

>Lastly, other than springs, shocks and sway bars does anyone have any other
handling "secrets" they'd like to share?

I put poly caster bushings in mine at the same time I upgraded the springs
and installed Konis.  So I can't really distinguish if they made a noticeable
difference.  I suspect they did.  I'm told replacing the rear bushings with
poly helps quite a bit.

Erik Wood
'74 GTV
'56 Giulietta Spider