1600 into 2000,70's GTV into Spider

In AD v8 #1149 Anne O wrote:
>I have a insanely fast 1600 engine and trans (9200 RPM
>redline,forever torque). How do you transplant this into a later
>car?

Making the clutch work is the biggest challenge.  You'll want to use the
hydraulic clutch system that is in the recipient car, as well as the later,
diaphragm-type clutch, but they aren't compatible with the 1600 engine.
Luckily the factory made an "adaptor" that works nicely for this: find a
1750 flywheel, which is a direct bolt-on to the 1600 crank and accepts the
later-type clutch.  You'll also need to use a bellhousing from a hydraulic
clutch car.  It's easiest if you also transplant the gearbox along with the
bellhousing, but--if your 1600 transmission is a special one--the late
bellhousing  can be adapeted to fit an early gearbox, as described in
recent digests.  You'll also need to change the studs in the rear of the
block to the longer ones designed to go with the late bellhousing.

>Next transplant candidate-the differential from a 70 Euro 1750
>into a 84 Spider. Does anyone know definiftively the ratio of
>the 1970 1750 Euro GTV?Is it easier to swap out the entire rear
>suspension?

The stock ratio for 1750s was 4:56.  It's an easy transplant; just swap out
the entire rear axle, but keep the t-bar and trailing arms on the car.
Remember, though, that 1750s don't have a limited slip differential, so
that feature of the spider will be lost.

Dana Loomis