Re[4]: Mid/Rear engine 'Alfa'

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:24:02 -0400 Brian Shorey <bshorey@domain.elided> wrote:
> Mentioned that the car is real fast, but that the racing line is
> completely different, such that there are times where he and the FWD
> cars cross paths in an extreme way going into or coming out of corners.
> Makes for a good show.

i don't think this will be that big an issue. there are folks running
sprint car based chassis already in this crowd.

my friend Dick's interest is inspired by a couple of interesting specials
that have shown up. one is a maserati engined sprint car, and the other
transplants an entire hydralic Puegot suspension into a tube frame chassis.

Dick himself ice races an old VW rabbit, but during the non-ice season, he
competes and wins in SCCA Formula V, so i think he understands rear drive
and mid engine configurations pretty well.

> Pauls racing harness was good protection, but didn't keep him from
> whacking his ribs against his roll bar, a bucket seat (used together
> with the racing harness) most likely would have.

there's no substitute for a good quality aluminum stock car seat or an
FIA seat. both must be properly mounted to be effective (and proper
mounting is different for the two seat types.)

richard