RE: Part 2 "95 MPH @ 5800 RPM"

> Question # 1: Were there different speedometer drive gears
> for alfa spider transmissions? Could it be I have a late
> 80's tranny in my car with a drive gear set up for a 4.10
> rear end, and I have a 4.56 rear end?

Possibility.

> Question # 2: Were there different speedometers?

Cosmetically, yes.  They also gradually changed the drive from
mechanical, to electrical/mechanical, to electrical.  I believe that all
of the mechanically driven gauges were the same, however.

> Question #3: Were there different tachometers and
> different tachometer drive gears.

Don't think so, other than cosmetically, and any possible switch to an
electronic tach.

> Obviously I need to measure the actual engine RPM with
> something known to be accurate like a tach/dwell meter,
> and I need to clock to road speed before we can really
> call B.S. on either of the gauges. Maybe I can even get on
> the chassis dyno at Western Washington University and find
> out some real data.

Righto!  I was going to say, compare the speedo reading against real
mile markers, then give me a call.

> I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

bs