Part 2 "95 MPH @ 5800 RPM"

Thanks to everyone who has responded. It's been an
interesting debate.

Many digesters have mentioned the tire size issue as far
as speed is concerned. What I'm thinking is that tire size
is not the issue here. Actual road speed is not the issue
either. Heck I may have been going 110 MPH in real life
and the car was only reading 95 MPH. I doubt it because my
pulse was too low and I'm not missing any hair off my
head. The issue is the RPM readings on the Tachometer and
the Speed reading on the Speedometer. The tires and the
actual road speed comes downstream from the info coming
out of the transmission and the engine to the gauges.

Question # 1: Were there different speedometer drive gears
for alfa spider transmissions? Could it be I have a late
80's tranny in my car with a drive gear set up for a 4.10
rear end, and I have a 4.56 rear end?

Question # 2: Were there different speedometers?

Question #3: Were there different tachometers and
different tachometer drive gears.

Obviously I need to measure the actual engine RPM with
something known to be accurate like a tach/dwell meter,
and I need to clock to road speed before we can really
call B.S. on either of the gauges. Maybe I can even get on
the chassis dyno at Western Washington University and find
out some real data.

I'll keep you posted.

Jason Glover
'76 Spider