UK MOT / Brakes

>>In NJ they check if the brakes are working, not if they're ABS or not. I
had the ABS in my Milano removed, but the system in the 164 has not been
problematic, and I believe, is worth keeping.<<

In the UK there have been cases where people have been prosecuted for
driving with faulty brakes because there car was photographed with the
wheels locked up by a red light camera as they jumped the lights driving
a car with standard fit ABS.

UK MOT is after 3 years and then every year. Cost is about #30 (US$45).
They check:-

Brake efficiency (Each wheel and in total)
Handbrake efficiency
Emmisions
Steering
Suspension (including bushes)
Wheel bearings
Glass (no damage greater than a certain size in area covered by wipers)
Wipers
Lights (including aim)
Body structure (no major rust damage, and repairs up to standard)

And no doubt a few things I have forgotten. There is no exmption from
the test for a vehicles age (except that any checks refer to the rules in
force at the time the car was registered), and no maximun amount for
it to be fixed.

The Department of Transport are also quite nasty with the garages that
do the tests. For example if the person doing the test doesnt have a
helper then they get so many points. However they also get points for
failing to check just about everything on the test. Too many points results
in a loss of testing licence.

The 75 in the UK never came with ABS brakes. I think there was a
construction and use rule it failed as it did not always fail safe. The 33
was available in lhd markets with ABS, but not in the UK / rhd form.

All the best

Keith