RE: New ones.... (a view from a 156 owner)

Hello,

Doug wrote in AD #1098 (and expressed similar views in a previous message
in
the same thread):

"sure, the wolwo is that much.  which is why i'd *never* spend
that kinda money on *any* new car.  any alfa sold in 2007 will
 only differ from the wolwo by what's on the badge.  there will
be *no* cars made in 2007 that cater to folks that actually
enjoy *driving*.  none that are affordable, anyway.  (if ya
call $40k afordable.)  sure, the marketing types will design
stuff that cater to our *memories* of what driving *used to*
be like!  :>)  hell, i submit there are none made *now*, that
are drivers' cars.  luca's recent posts about the latest alfa
gta & awd porsche sums it up, imo...  and, haven't ya seen my
most recent post to the digest about this, yet???  ;~)"

regards,

doug s."

To quote Bob Dylan:  "Don't critizise what you can't understand!"

I've been reading the Digest for several years (but I haven't been a
regular poster).
I know that Doug is a GTV6 owner just like me, and he's one of those
"hardliners" who
think that the only proper Alfas are those with RWD.  I wonder if he has
actually driven
any of the current generation Alfas that he critizises so much?  I can
assure him that both
the 156 and the current (916 series) GTV are far more than just an Alfa
badge on a boring
car. I haven't driven a 166 (the successor to the 164) but fellow Alfisti
who have tried one
say it's too much of a limousine to be a proper Alfa.

I have owned a 156 for almost a year now, and I can assure him that it
makes all the
right Alfa noises and presses all the right buttons, at least with me.  In
addition, the 156 is
IMO the best looking new car in the market at any price today!

It doesn't have that V6 rumble (you can get a 156 with the 2.5 V6, but it
was too expensive
for me) and the immediate steering response and perfect weight distribution
of my GTV6,
but I still love it!

Regards
Jorn Bereng
Oslo, Norway

1985 GTV 6 (Summer toy)
2001 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 1.8 TS (Daily driver)