Re: Oil pan, oil pump

Jon,
You have to remove the oil pump to get the upper pan out.  I also jacked up
the engine rear about 2 inches (lots) and the pan finally squeezed out.  My
goal was removing the pan, but I think the oil pump will come out with just
the lower pan off.  To get the upper pan off, the hardest bolts were the
ones directly under the engine mounts and in the front; I used lots of 1/4"
extensions for the front bolts and got them from above the engine.

The worst part of removing the upper pan on my 89 is removing the A/C
compressor and plate so that you can access the bolts behind it; hopefully
you don't have A/C; hopefully you won't have to remove the upper pan anyway.
Good luck,
dan in kc