Roadworthiness

There are very strict regulations about what you may import or manufacture in the way of vehicles, with the strictest regulations reserved for cars, but once you get that puppy home there's not much you can't do in most jurisdictions. We have some window dressing type lighting, windshield washers, seat belts, and tinting of window glass regulations. But tire tread depth, braking systems, steering systems, oil burning? You're kidding right?

I'm not sure our cars are required by law to have four wheel brakes (though 2 wheelers must have brakes on each wheel and three wheelers are not specifically mentioned) but the brakes must be capable of stopping the vehicle from a speed of 30 km/hr in 30 meters (100 ft) on dry pavement!, or tires with tread, or steering that works. We do have to have windshield wipers and washers if the car was manufactured after a certain date. The range of the headlights on low beam must meet the minimum performance requirement of 30 meters (100 ft!)and certainly there is no system to verify compliance or roadworthiness. The inference to be drawn is that the braking and lighting specifications are based upon the premise that you must be able to see an object at night in sufficient time to just knock it down if you immediately apply the brakes while travelling at 30 km/hr under ideal conditions. Get the idea?

We see unfit vehicle all the time here. To the point that having ABS brakes is a distinct disadvantage in that most vehicles then cannot stop as well as you do!!!

Chryslers are fine here, having no real brakes isn't considered a defect. Cupholders are important though, and an interior compass, in case you forget which way is North.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L