Re: Gasket sealer questions

In a message dated 09/11/2002 6:35:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
bshorey@domain.elided writes:

> > I thought it was more than warrented on this car.  With it burning a
> > quart every 100 mi or so,  it would seem that the PO's didn't change
> > anything for a long time,  just kept adding...
>
> No arguments with doing it on a car that is new to you, or if there is
> reason to go poking around.  My comments were that I've never done it as
> part of a routine oil change.
>
> If you use a high quality oil and change it at the right intervals, you
> won't get any sludge buildup, maybe just some of the coking on internal
> surfaces.  Use a good synthetic oil and you won't get even that.
>
> bs

       On Alfas that are new to me, I put the car on my trailer and take it
to the car wash.  (OK, you cannot do that if you are Californicated - does
California even allow you to change your own oil?)  Spray with Gunk engine
cleaner and power wash the engine and chassis.  Get underneath on a creeper
with a full face shield if you really want to get the chassis clean - and all
over yourself.
       I then put radiator flush in the engine.  I add a quart of high
detergent transmission fluid to the engine.  I run it until warm and drain
everything.
       I then remove the air cleaner, the hoses and everything.  A spray can
of carb or brake cleaner helps clean the nooks and crannies.  I also spray
the oil pump pickup and up inside the upper pan with carb cleaner.  The
engine goes back together with all new hoses, belts and filters.  The air
cleaner housing and other parts may get a Krylon tune up.
       If the engine is out, EZ Off Oven Cleaner will really clean things.
However, it will turn aluminum parts like the brake/clutch pedal casing
behind the brake booster black.  EZ Off will also remove all the wax and the
surface layer of paint.  I clean bodies with it before starting any body work
that will include new paint.  Be careful to not spray it into the wind and
wear rubber gloves and goggles.  That stuff is caustic.  Follow with a trip
to the car wash.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City