Re: Gasket sealer questions

Well.. lots of responses..

I thought after posting this.. "What was I thinking??" in that I expected to start a major flame war over religeously held gasket sealer opininons.. But, no major conflict. (whew)

I'm wondering what the last guy used.. the paper gasket seemed golden and translucent.. the inner and outer edges of the seam though had a black, hard and crusty stuff that would chip off..

Apparently it did a lot of that, since I found in the lower sump pan, a collection of black bits, (and more) about a half tablespoon in volume, under the oil pump pickup. Black, small, hard as rocks.. Then there was the bright reddish orange rubbery stuff, mixed in, and stuck in the screen of the oil pump pickup.. I had various other scary bits in there, bearing shavings (not many) hard black plastic bits, black magnetic bits, and a shiny piece of magnetic sheet metal with printing on it. (I"ll post more on these in another "help Jon identify stuff in his pan" post)

Not very happy with the "leftovers" floating around in my oil.. so more suggestions of clean, non obtrousive sealers are welcome!

At least there weren't any crank plugs, or journal nuts down there!

Jon