Re: alfa-digest V8 #1083

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 03:53  PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:58:52 EDT
From: GLewis4457@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Alfa and US safety laws

In a message dated 9/6/2002 12:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

we Alfa Romeo lovers would like to have to have new Alfas.
At one time, if a marque wasn't represented in the USA, one could just
buy one overseas and bring it back (or, there were places like
Zumbach's in New York who would do it for you). Now we can't. Why?
because new Alfas can't pass the SAME US safety laws as those laws that
SUVs DON'T HAVE TO PASS! What good are safety laws when the largest
single type of vehicle bought in this country isn't required to adhere
to those laws? I'll tell you what it does. It makes a mockery of the
laws, and it keeps many people from buying the brand and type of car
they want. That's what it does, and I, for one, resent it. The guy who
wants to buy a non-complying truck, because that's his passion, gets to
do so with Uncle Sam's blessing. Those of us who want to follow our
passion and buy a new Alfa Romeo cannot, because the same laws that
lets SUVs exist won't let us bring an Alfa into the USA. That's Freedom?

My 2 Cents worth.

George Graves

Well, it ain't even worth that much. We don't have Alfa in the US for a much
simpler reason....by the time they pulled out they could not give a car away,
let alone sell one. I believe that in their last year in the US they sold
something like 600 cars, maybe fewer.
True (actually it was less than 500 cars in all of North America including Canada). But that's NOT the point.

Same story for Renault, Peugeot, and a
host of others. Do you really think that Fiat could not engineer a car to
meet US standards if there was a market for them here?
Of course they could, but again, that's NOT the point.

Meeting those
standards is not rocket science and how to do it is well known in the
industry. Does this mean that they are not as good engineers as Kia and
Hyundai who meet the standards with ease? So cut the crap about US safety
and emission standards keeping Alfa away...only thing keeping Alfa away is a
committment by Fiat...nothing more.
You seem to miss my point completely. All of the manufacturers that you mention have every right to decide not to have a sales presence here. They made that decision because at the time they pulled out, they didn't sell enough product here to justify the cost of maintaining a dealership network, warranties, parts and service, and the numbers sold certainly did not warrant the tremendous expense of 'federalizing' their cars. Alfa, in particular, had, essentially, no product. Alfa had only an almost 30 year-old Spider which was getting its lunch eaten by the then new Mazda Miata which cost less and looked fresher while providing what looked (on paper anyway) like a similar performing car, and the 164. A large sedan which looked like a Peugeot and cost like a Cadillac.

But Alfas didn't have official dealer networks in the USA before or right after WWII either. Yet, if Americans wanted new Alfas, they could get them. In fact, one could get anything if one wanted it. Now, because of stupid laws that are so unevenly applied that the most popular vehicles in the country are exempt from them, one can't even go to Europe, buy a new Alfa (or Peugeot 206 WRC, or TVR or MG or whatever), and bring it back. But Bubba and every soccer mom in the country can buy an SUV which pollutes far more, uses much more gas, and is far more deadly and dangerous on the road than any non-complying European car that a few thousand Americans might feel strongly enough about to want to go to Europe and buy. That;s what I'm complaining about, not the fact that these auto manufacturers have decided not to officially participate in this market. This is what puts us behind an Automotive Iron Curtain. This is what limits our freedom of choice. And I'll tell you, if these stupid laws were actually proven effective, and if they were fairly applied in such a way that ALL vehicles had to comply equally to them, I might be a little less angry about this hypocrisy on the part of our government "for our own good" than I am now. I'm tired of know-nothing bureaucrats telling me what is and isn't in my best interest! I'm an American, dammit. I don't need a blinking Big Brother!

George Graves