Looks Like I Need Another Starter

So my 1979 Spider decided to eat its starter today.  At least that's how
it looks from here (the car is still too hot to pull off the starter).

Here's what happened:  when I went to start the car, it made a loud
thumping noise while the starter was whirring its usual whirr and the
car then started OK.  It did this maybe twice (I was out running
errands) and then refused to engage (grinding noises followed by a
zing).

I just hope it's the starter/bendix and not the ring gear.

I've got a call in to APE, but if anyone else has a starter they want to
get rid of (that fits this car) and lives near Albany, NY, please let me
know.

Rex in Albany, NY