Re: Alfa and US safety laws

Not to pick nits, but I believe Renault's story was very different. Seems to me they were selling enough cars to be considered "successful" (read: profitable), but a couple of factors brought about the decision to pull out--their relationship with Chrysler went sour and an unexpected change of CEOs (read: assassination) put a different set of priorities in charge of the company.

At 10:53 PM +0000 9/6/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:58:52 EDT
From: GLewis4457@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Alfa and US safety laws

Well, it ain't even worth that much.  We don't have Alfa in the US for a much
simpler reason....by the time they pulled out they could not give a car away,
let alone sell one.  I believe that in their last year in the US they sold
something like 600 cars, maybe fewer.  Same story for Renault, Peugeot, and a
host of others.  Do you really think that Fiat could not engineer a car to
meet US standards if there was a market for them here?  Meeting those
standards is not rocket science and how to do it is well known in the
industry.  Does this mean that they are not as good engineers as Kia and
Hyundai who meet the standards with ease?  So cut the crap about US safety
and emission standards keeping Alfa away...only thing keeping Alfa away is a
committment by Fiat...nothing more.

Jerry in Houston