Re: Alfa and US safety laws

In a message dated 9/6/2002 12:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> > we Alfa Romeo lovers would like to have to have new Alfas.
> >At one time, if a marque wasn't represented in the USA, one could just
> >buy one overseas and bring it back (or, there were places like
> >Zumbach's in New York who would do it for you). Now we can't. Why?
> >because new Alfas can't pass the SAME US safety laws as those laws that
> >SUVs DON'T HAVE TO PASS! What good are safety laws when the largest
> >single type of vehicle bought in this country isn't required to adhere
> >to those laws? I'll tell you what it does. It makes a mockery of the
> >laws, and it keeps many people from buying the brand and type of car
> >they want. That's what it does, and I, for one, resent it. The guy who
> >wants to buy a non-complying truck, because that's his passion, gets to
> >do so with Uncle Sam's blessing. Those of us who want to follow our
> >passion and buy a new Alfa Romeo cannot, because the same laws that
> >lets SUVs exist won't let us bring an Alfa into the USA. That's Freedom?
> >
> >My 2 Cents worth.
> >
> >George Graves

Well, it ain't even worth that much.  We don't have Alfa in the US for a much
simpler reason....by the time they pulled out they could not give a car away,
let alone sell one.  I believe that in their last year in the US they sold
something like 600 cars, maybe fewer.  Same story for Renault, Peugeot, and a
host of others.  Do you really think that Fiat could not engineer a car to
meet US standards if there was a market for them here?  Meeting those
standards is not rocket science and how to do it is well known in the
industry.  Does this mean that they are not as good engineers as Kia and
Hyundai who meet the standards with ease?  So cut the crap about US safety
and emission standards keeping Alfa away...only thing keeping Alfa away is a
committment by Fiat...nothing more.

Jerry in Houston