Subject: Re: Stainless Steel Bumper Straightening

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:03:00 -0400
From: "Tom Sanor" <mygoose@domain.elided>

>The bumpers always "change color" when welded, by the way.

Depends on how you weld them, as I understand it. Welding stainless leaves
non-stainless metal in the heat affected zone. You have to use a nickel rod
from what I can gather. I've been looking at the welds on a Knoll
Associates stainless steel van der Rohe Barcelona chair from the 50's, a
cosmetically important weld, and while it's true they've been ground and
polished, you can't see the welds at all.