Rust proofing products.

(warning: No SUV content..., only rusty alfa content)

It's that time of year when I am finally getting around to my annual rust proofing chores, I am wondering what people thought of the various products, I am speaking particularly of Bill Hirsch Miracle paint, Wurth Rust Guard and POR-15. (actually it's Wuerth (auf Deutsch), for you spelling conscious people).

I am frankly very disappointed with the Hirsch stuff, I've been using the clear stuff for a few years and it doesn't stick very well to painted surfaces, even non oily surfaces, and it does not stand up at all to UV light. I sanded the rust spots on my wife's wagon, touched it up with Hirsch and top coat it with touch up paint and a year later, rust reoccurred again from underneath, I had made sure to get rid of every bit of rust with my Dremel and this is a German car, not Russian 70's steel. The rest of it over painted surface just flaked off. I redid the wagon with Wurth Rust guard and so far so good.

I love this Wurth stuff, I touched up a few spots on my wife's Miata using the Wurth Rust Guard (black) about 4 years ago and didn't even bother to top coat it and still everything held up. From the description I thought this is the same stuff as the Hirsch and POR-15, but evidently NOT! Does anyone know their differences? Any comments on POR-15, Corroles or others from the peanut gallery?

I am always looking for good rust proofing ideas and products.

cheerio,

- Steve.