Re: grade 8 (was Re: Engine stand)

Richard Welty wrote:
ok, i'm going to ask a loaded question here?

why grade 8? what do you mean by grade 8, the SAE designation (used only on
traditional non-metric fasteners) or do you really intend to state 8.8? (a
metric designation, corresponding roughly to SAE grade 5).
Unless you're talking to an engineer... I think that's code for "don't use crappy bolts of unknown origin/quality." In a bind I've used some generic bolts sourced from Home Depot[1], only to torque them in half... generally in the most inconvenient time/way possible. Now it was probably my fault for cranking down on them (I keep forgetting my own strength.) But since I started stockpiling bolts from MSC I haven't had that problem.

--Mark

[1] I've only had problems with bulk SAE bolts. Their metric stuff is generally only availible individually wrapped, and seems of better quality, but unless it has the right markings buyer beware.